Featured Artist Header

Links to the artists featured in our header photo: Kathryn Newman Glass Art|| Holly's Folly || Prima Donna Beads|| Polychrome Beads||

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Glass Bead Spacers 9.22.13

It's time for another edition of Space Out Sunday where we ogle the oft overlooked, but always needed glass spacer bead and get to know another glass artisan. All artisans will be posting pics that feature lampwork spacers today!

But before we get to our show, we're going to hang out with artist Debbie Altman of All My Beads. Since we're talking about the work-horse of jewelry design, check out the photo of this pile of glass bead spacers Debbie sent - aren't they just yummy???


What do kind of glass beads do you make?  I cover the spectrum when it comes to making beads. When I first started in 2005, I was big into sculpting. These days, I just play. I simply do what I feel like doing. It could be sculpting one day and making a simple round bead set the next. It’s all good! Lately, I've been making lots of beads for Beads of Courage.

 Debbie Altman of All My Beads

Do I ever space out at the torch? Never. Too dangerous. I get lost sometimes though and go off track of what I was trying to do in the first place. Lol! Does that make sense ? I don’t listen to the stereo or tv because my vent system is so loud.


What was the Worst burn / cut you ever got??? How did it happen, where was it? The worst burn was a couple years ago. Second degree burn on my first finger, left hand. So bad it scared me enough to go to the doc. Used Silvadene crème and it really did the job to heal. This is from thinking it’s ok to reach into the flame and move a piece of glass ! Eye rolling smile Dumb but I bet a lot of folks have done it !

What was the hardest skill for you to learn? How did you over come? The most difficult skill for me has always been encasing flowers and in general, encasing. I work on it often with some success occasionally. Lol! I found for me, trying too hard and working too fast just wasn’t the way. My biggest tip to ANYONE learning this is to GO SLOW !



What is YOUR favorite jewelry to wear? My favorite jewelry is bracelets. Any kind of bracelet. I am a bracelet fanatic. Lol ! I have so many beaded bracelets I have lost count but I also have plenty of metal pieces as well. They are also my most favorite thing to make in jewelry.



What is your favorite thing you've made? My most favorite thing I’ve made in glass – a little Halloween doll bead. I learned how to make these doll beads from a tutorial that Anne Ricketts put in one of Corina’s books. I made LOTS of these little dolls and the Halloween one is my all time favorite bead. She is a pendant that hangs from one of my Kumihimo braids.




Debbie, thanks for letting us space out and get to know you better! Friends, you can find Debbie's glass beads on Etsy. She has a wonderful blog and a Fan Page too!




1 comment:

  1. Here you go!
    http://site.serenasbeadery.com/blog/2012/09/27/265/

    ReplyDelete